We’ve all used Apricot Scrub at one point or another, right? I’ve been a faithful user for many years. That is until I started reading the ingredient labels on my skin care products. The gentle version for sensitive skin that you can purchase at nearly every grocery or pharmacy claims to contain 95% naturally derived ingredients. But the other 5%? Harsh Sulfates, drying alcohols, and even irritating perfumes and dyes. These ingredients can all spell disaster for someone with reactive skin like me.
I wasn’t quite ready to give up my flaky skin fix right before the dry winter season sets in. So I wanted to rework my own recipe for a 100% natural option I could make at home. Enter my All Natural Apricot Face Scrub. No reason to use 20+ ingredients, just (affiliate links) Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil and organic untreated finely crushed apricot seed. Let’s get started!
Start first by measuring out your coconut oil, approximately 2 parts of the final amount you want. We all store things in different size packages, so giving you a ratio rather than an exact measurement seems smarter for this project. Melt your coconut oil in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Then add 1 part crushed apricot seed and stir well.
After melting, the coconut oil will be in a liquid state. It will need to be stirred again every five minutes or so to avoid complete separation. Just keep stirring until it is almost solidified, then pour it into your storage container of choice.
Easy peasy, right? To use, splash your face with some water and dip out about 1 teaspoon to gently rub on your face. Rinse off with warm water and cover your face with a steamy washcloth for about 30 seconds. The mini steam allows your pores to soak up that nourishing and anti-bacterial coconut oil. Follow with your usual cleanser, toner and moisturizer. Don’t scrub too roughly and don’t use more often than once a week. I bought the 1 pound bag of apricot shell for around $8.00 and barely used 1/8th of the bag for a huge tub of scrub. Definitely a value save on top of the all natural healthier option. Does that make you want to give it a try? Have you used the store-bought version? Let me know in the comments below!